Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Greetings from Osaka!







I'm gonna start with a cheesy Hey everybody!

I'm looving my stay here in Japan. Everybody are so nice here. My family is great, they always have great ideas of what to do during the weekends and national holidays. This morning I woke up for example at 4:30 to climb a mountain next to the house and watch the sunrise and see a great view over the Osaka, Kyoto and Nara at the same time. It was so cool! I've been to an amusement park, I set off fireworks with my family, I have had 4 trips to Kyoto temple visiting, sports center, I went fishing in the Pacific ocean, onsen, I suddenly got into a mexican festival downtown and so many other great things. I went to Kinkakuji temple in Kyoto which is definitely the most beautiful temple I've seen here in Japan.

Downtown Osaka is ridiculous. It has like a huge underground city of shopping malls. It's so easy to get lost. I walked the other day for two hours without knowing were I was and then I realized I hadn't moved moved anywhere, I had just been walking in the same area underground, on the street or in big buildings without noticing. I guess I'm maybe not the only one who has gotten into that situation during their stay here. I didn't see enough enough in Tokyo to get to see how it actually was there (I guess it's a bit similar) and plus, I come from Iceland with 300.000 inhabitants so it's a bit overwhelming.

The school is great. I'm studying japanese on my own in the classroom or in the library most of the lessons. I'm doing sports, calligraphy and english as well. From the library where I study a lot I have a great view over Osaka Castle and it's surroundings, I love it. I go to school around 7 every morning and I usually come back around 7 in the evening so I'm often very tired. I have around 1 hour of commuting, including standing in a train stuffed with people that doesn't stop for 20 minutes. The school festival was 2 weeks ago. I participated in my class play, I played thee role of an english butler,which was quite funny. It was a lot of fun and my class went to a restaurant afterwards in the evening.

The weather has been great, even the typhoon that was supposed to hit Osaka, never came. It's starting to get a bit cooler after the summer that means I'm not sweating like a monkey when I get to school. I'm going to my second family next monday and I'm just excited about it and I hope they'll be as great. My little brothers in both of these families are in my class so know my little brother in the next family.
Has anyone changed family yet? How was it?


A few responses to other blogs:

Eva, Random people are always saying hello, especially girls at school. People are so curious about me everywhere i go, always saying some phrases that they know in English.

Marco, It doesn't matter that my school has air-conditioning. I'm still always sweaty, or was, since it's getting a bit cooler, but still hot, to many commas.
There hasn't been any matsuri here and the pictures look cool, I wanna go to a Matsuri.


I have no idea were the pictures will come so here is some information.

Nr.1 I took a picture in the train I take very day. I'm a bad person, I thought it was so rude to take up the camera and flash straight into their sleepy faces but it was worth it. I've been in so much more stuffed trains than this but I had the camera that day.

Nr.2 My and my 2 host family brothers by The Kinkakuji temple

Nr.3 My hometown, Katanoshi, between Osaka and Kyoto. I bike for 20 minutes every morning along rice fields on my way to the station.

Well, best regards and I hope all of you continue having a great time or if it hasn't been very pleasant for you, I hope you start having a great time and enjoying your stay here!

Ólafur Páll

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Great to hear you're alright!!!
About the sweaty monkey thing... believe me, you don't know what you're talking about!!!
I have to climb a hill every morning, so I'm hot as hell even now that it has got much cooler!
So... actually, air condition would help, but not as much as the "cold deodorizer"!! Anyone tried it? I love it!
Where are you going to stay? Same town?
Bye,
Marco

Ólafur said...

Well, I don't think that the air-conditioning at school makes any difference at all. but that's maybe because I don't know how it is if it's not turned on.
My family now lives in Suita, it's more of a city. I live in a mansion. It takes like one hour by car back to my old family and about one and a half hour by train and it's not even considered that far away. How is it going for your family Marco, have you changed yet, if not, when?

Unknown said...

very nice blog...
i've added on my preferred blog list... ;)
greetings from Italy

Evelina said...

Oooh, nice! I`m glad you`re having fun and enjoying your stay. I have a little problem, as there is nothing in Saga, but I hope I can visit some other places during weekends or Winter Holidays. Stay positive, eh!?
And, you know, actually I bike 40 mintues along the rice-fealds everyday, so we basically have the same view here :D

Reteka said...

Congratulations for win the schoolarship, I´m a Spanish (You don´t said that was learning Spanish?? xD)

I recommend you this blog: http://kamaku-sergi.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html
(It´s from a Spanish guy, he was stay there in 2006)

I also want go to Japan with the same Scoolarship (Japan-Europe Mutual Understanding) (I´m praying xDDD)

And I wait your news posts with interesting!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ollypally (?)!
I'm doing great with my family, they're always so kind and affectionante that sometimes I doubt I'm doing enough to deserve them!
I love my city too, it's not big but it has enough to do shopping, and even if it's far away (but not as far as Saga :P).
I'm not changing family (unless troubles happen, of course, which I don't hope!) during the program.
@Evelina: at least you have the Shinkansen to arrive wherever you want!! Ok, it's expensive, but YOU can choose. I just have a crappy local train which takes 2 hours to do 70 kilometers until Nagoya! xDD Actually, I'm starting to love it because it's so old-fashioned, it really looks like it came from either the 19th century or a Miyazaki Hayao's movie, but it's SLOW!

Ólafur said...

Marco,
I know what you mean with the family doing things you don't feel like you deserve it. It's sometimes a bit uncomfortable.
It's sound really nice this town you live in. What I've seen from the countryside in Japan it looks great. Not that you live in the countryside but it's smaller than these huge cities, It's a bit overwhelming sometimes.
Cheers,
Just write Óli (Oli),
Otherwise it's Óli Palli