Sunday, September 7, 2008

Matsuri

Everybody has talked about his first day of school... but mine was actually on 27th August (they say mountain's men are early...), so it's quite a long time ago... besides, yesterday I've been to my first matsuri, so I'm going to tell you about it!
Io e la mia 'mamma adottiva' al matsuri
Me and my host mom at the matsuri!

I guess you all already know what a "matsuri", but I was surprised by their importance. Here in Iida, in summer, there is one matsuri each week!

This matsuri was composed of two parts: fireworks and fireworks... a whole lot of great fireworks!!!

i fuochi d'artificio (o-hanabi)
fireworks (hanabi)

I asked explainations about what they were doing with those paper things that you can see in the picture under here, but... well, let's say that my Japanese needs improvement!! Besides, everybody was more concerned about the fireworks, which were the best ones I've seen in my life after the ones of world fireworks championship. (kono hanabi wa goran no suponsaa no teikyou de okurishimasu!)

tagliata secondo un rituale speciale, era parte fondamentale del matsuri
The big paper under the guy is "kami no kami" (goddess's paper)... I don't know if it's the real name or a simplified version for me, but it sounds good ^^

The festival's climax was in the end, when the guys pictured up here rounded around a central firework, the one under here.

La fine del matsuri prevedeva che delle maschere girassero attorno a questo fuoco d'artificio centrale
This was the end of the matsuri... masked guys around a central firework

The nice thing about the matsuri was that almost everyone in the city was there... I could meet classmates, teachers, my host parents met friends from the Kominkan and introduced me... it was great!!!

lanternone e lanternino?
I was made to carry a Japanese light... cool!

Ok, this was my first matsuri... but they told me the next one will be much bigger, so I can't wait!!!
See you!!!
Marco

PS BTW, why am I the only one whose school doesn't have air conditioning? I had to buy oshibori, deodorants, refreshing body sheets and bring them to school since I'm always sweating! It's so unfair!

No comments: